In-Person Sessions and Teletherapy
We see clients at our office in Fort Collins:
4786 McMurry Ave. STE 2B
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Teletherapy is the practice of counseling conducted over video conference technology where the therapist is in one location and the client is in another. It may also be referred to as “telemedicine” or “telehealth.”
We are able to offer this option to anyone living in Colorado (state laws prohibit teletherapy across state lines).
Is it as effective as in-person therapy?
This is one of the most common questions when deciding if teletherapy is a good option. There is an emerging body of research on this topic, and the findings are consistently concluding that yes, teletherapy is as effective as in-person counseling.
What are the benefits of teletherapy?
- You can work with a therapist in a different city. This broadens your options for therapists, and as a result, increases the chances of you finding a good fit.
- You can do therapy from the convenience of your home, office, or other environment that works for you. All you need is a computer with internet access or a smart phone.
- There is no travel time. You don’t have to commute to your therapist’s office and can save the time.
- Your therapist might get a better sense of you as a person if you’re in your home, office, or other space you value. The environment may become a topic of conversation that provides insight for your therapist.
- You get to be comfortable. By staying at home, you get to settle into your favorite chair or couch. You can wear your pajamas. You can grab a beverage or snack, wrap up in a blanket, and have access to all the other comforts of home.
- If you have concerns about running into your therapist in your community (like in a small town), you can work with someone in a completely different location and not have to worry about bumping into them. Teletherapy can enhance your sense of confidentiality and privacy.
What does a teletherapy session work?
There are a variety of video conferencing options therapists can utilize to conduct teletherapy. Our practice uses a platform called Doxyme for sessions. Doxyme is designed to be HIPPA secure and protect the privacy of clients. The process is very straightforward:
- You will receive a link from your therapist that connects you to Doxyme.
- You will click the link a couple of minutes before your session.
- Your therapist is notified that you are ready to start and will initiate the session.
- At that point, we can see and hear each other on our respective screens. The experience is similar to Zoom, Facetime, or Skype.
- We then proceed with the session exactly as if you were attending the appointment in-person.
If you’d like to schedule a teletherapy appointment, or if you have additional questions about the process, please contact us today.