The best years of our life also come with their fair share of ups and downs. Here are a few fun tips for staying happy. Let’s keep stress levels low and smiles plentiful.
- Take care of yourself – It’s important to prioritize self-care. Taking care of your physical and mental health allows you to maintain a positive outlook. Get enough sleep, eat a balanced diet, and exercise regularly. (And don’t drink too much!) Try to set aside time each week to do something that you enjoy, whether that be reading a book, taking a yoga class, or spending time with friends.
- Build some healthy relationships – Do what you can to cultivate strong relationships with friends and peers. College is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people and form lasting friendships. Clubs and organizations abound; you’ll certainly find a few that align with your personal interests. Social events – in moderation – are always a great source for finding your tribe.
- Balance, balance, balance – It’s important to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Yes, it’s very important to stay on top of your coursework. It’s equally important to take breaks and enjoy life. So please do schedule time for relaxation: movies, walks, hobbies, clubs. The joy that these activities bring will leave you better equipped to handle the demands of college life.
- Stay organized – It’s important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. College can be overwhelming. Doing your most to stay organized will help alleviate some of the stress and anxiety associated with college life. Use a calendar to keep track of deadlines, assignments, and events.
- Stay positive! – Focus on the good things. Staying happy requires keeping your goals in mind and reminding yourself of your achievements. Surround yourself with positive people, keep away from those you know will drag you down, and seek out opportunities for personal development.
Evolve Counseling Services has expert therapists that specialize in helping university students navigate their college life. Give us a call to begin a discussion on how we can help bring out the best in you. Serving students (and adults!) in Fort Collins, Colorado and across Colorado via online therapy sessions.